Understanding What Loving Yourself Really Means
I didn’t. I thought loving myself was basically treating myself to a night out with friends or buying myself a hot new pair of shoes.
To be honest, it took me quite a while to really understand the whole concept of ‘loving myself’ and it was only then did it really start to have a profound effect in my life.
For me now, loving myself means a multitude of things including:
- Learning to speak up for myself and honoring my feelings. In loving myself I realized that no longer needed to just ‘go along’ with what other people wanted.
- Learning to put myself first and be selfish sometimes. If I don’t take care of my own needs then who will?
- Treating myself with kind words and encouragement. I am only human at the end of the day so there really is no need to beat myself up for making mistakes. Mistakes only require correction, not punishment.
- Not tolerating poor or toxic behavior from other people. This was a big one for me. Learning to love myself included giving myself permission to walk away from people who continually hurt me.
- Learning to be assertive and stand up for myself.
- Having good boundaries in place and teaching other people how I would like to be treated.
- Giving myself plenty of rest and relaxation time.
- Being my own cheerleader.
If you would like to find out more about Loving yourself and how important it really is – Check out my FREE radio show here http://www.blogtalkradio.com/thedifference/2012/02/26/the-spiritual-and-irritable-show-is-talking-about-loving-you