Phrases to help with Assertiveness
Many of us fear being assertive but you can make it easy for yourself if you are prepared.
Benefits of being Assertive
Assertiveness if simply a communication style that allows you to clearly state how you wish to be treated by other people. Being assertive allows you to act in your best interests and express your rights as a human being., without violating the rights of another human being. It allows you to place value on your own desires and to clearly ask for what you want. This includes requesting other people to listen to what you have to say and treat you with respect.
Assertive behaviour allows you to express yourself with confidence in a clear, open and reasonable way, without undermining others. It is a skill that can be used with friends, work colleagues, partners and even ccomplete strangers. It tells the world that you care about how you feel.
Here are some phrases to help with assertiveness:
- Thank you for the offer, but that doesn’t interest me right now
- Thanks for asking but I can’t help
- I would like to help but I can’t today
- Thanks but that isn’t a priority for me at the moment
- Thanks, but I have other plans
- That doesn’t work for me
- I will pass on this one
- I will think about it and get back to you
- I am not sure how I feel about that. I will take some time to think about it and get back to you when I am ready
- Thanks for thinking of me, but I can’t make it
Award Winning Sydney Life Coach Lisa Phillips is the author of The Confidence Coach. Lisa has over 18 years experience and her work appears regularly in the Australian Media. For more information on how Sydney Life Coach can help you, please contact Lisa for a no obligation chat at [email protected]