Many of us fear being assertive but you can make it easy for yourself! The key is to have a few well prepared assertive phrases up your sleeve to use as and when you need to.
Benefits of being Assertive
Assertiveness is simply a communication style. However, it is important as it allows you to clearly state how you wish to be treated by other people. Being assertive allows you to act in your best interests and express your rights as a human being, without violating the rights of another person.
Being assertive allows you to place value on your own desires and to clearly ask for what you want. This includes requesting other people to listen to what you have to say and being able to turn down requests from other people. It also helps when you are dealing with toxic people or bullies.
Assertive behaviour allows you to express yourself with confidence in a clear, open and reasonable way, without undermining others. It is a skill that can be used with friends, work colleagues, partners and even complete strangers. It tells the world that you care about how you feel and you are important!
Here are some phrases to help with assertiveness:
- Thank you for the offer, but that doesn’t interest me right now
- I appreciate you asking f but I can’t help you this time.
- I would like to help but I can’t today
- I have other priorities at the moment.
- I have other plans
- That doesn’t work for me right now but I appreciate you asking me.
- I will pass on this one
- I will think about it and get back to you
- I am not sure how I feel about that. I will take some time to think about it and get back to you when I am ready
- Many thanks for thinking of me, but I can’t make it
Sydney Life Coaching, Lisa Phillips
Based in Sydney, Lisa Phillips is a Life Coach, Career Coach and Confidence Coach with over 20 years experience. She is the author of the book ‘ The Confidence Coach’. Her work as a Life Coach is regularly featured across the Media. Lisa is also currently the Confidence Coaching expert on The Love Destination TV. Lisa provides online coaching and face to face coaching.