As a Sydney Life Coach and Confidence coach with over 18 years experience, I can confirm that many of us suffer from emotional neglect. Many of us had our emotions neglected as a child, and now, into adulthood, we continue to emotionally neglect ourselves.
What is Emotional Neglect?
Emotional neglect is commonly defined as a pattern of behaviour by parents or caregivers that can seriously interfere with a child’s cognitive, emotional, psychological or social development.
The issue is that many of continue to neglect our emotions as adults and end up being abused, people pleasers and doormats.
Do you recognise any of these feelings?
- Feeling not noticed or acknowledged
- Feeling unsupported by other people
- Your feelings often go unnoticed, or invalidated
- You often feel that you give out the message of ‘ I don’t really matter that much’
- You perceive other peoples emotions to be more important than yours
- You are not clear on what your own needs and wants are
- You often fail to speak up as feel that your words are shameful, wrong and don’t matter.
- You believe that ‘ Nobody is really here for you’
- You feel overlooked and unseen
- You feel that nobody really acknowledged your emotional needs.
As a result, you may often feel that you and your feelings are inconsequential.
The above emotions are just old programming and the truth is, that you feelings are important and deserve to be recognised. Take a few moment to read over the following statements to counter act Emotional neglect.
- I matter
- I am worth loving
- My feelings are important and deserve to be recognised
- What I have to say is valid and important
- My feelings are acceptable
- I choose to validate my own feelings
- I now choose to share my emotions without judging, criticising or abandoning them
- It is my right to have my feelings acknowledged and taken seriously
- What I feel is real and true for me
- I can rely on my feelings for support
With my Sydney Coaching clients, I use a simple and effective process to assist people to clear old beliefs about emotional neglect and assist them in making their own feelings a priority. If you would like to know more, please contact me for a no obligation chat at [email protected] Remember, you deserve to make your own feelings a priority and for other people to validate and acknowledge YOU!
Award winning Sydney Life Coach and Confidence Coach Lisa Phillips is the author of ‘ The Confidence Coach’ book ( Exile 2015). She has over 18 years experience assisting people to feel good, let go of old patterns and programming and achieve their hearts desire. For more information, please see www.amazingcoaching.com.au.