5 Tips for a Happy Life
5 Tips for a Happy Life
The media, social media and society in general are full of ideas of what we need to do in order to live a happy life.
However, what I often share with my Sydney Life Coaching clients is important – The truth is, you are the only one who can decide what makes you happy!
We are all different, therefore all have different beliefs, choices, preferences and of course, different happiness streams in life.
To say Happiness is a ‘ one size fits all’ is just crazy so why not take a look at these 5 tips for a happy life and make the decision of what feels good to you for yourself:
- Think back to the things you used to enjoy when you were a small child. Was it being outdoors, doing something creative or just fixing things? Did you like to read, play with animals or did you like doing jigsaws or watching movies? As children, we are very good at doing things that make us happy but as we grow up, we tend to forget about these important activities as we get more focussed on family, careers and even paying the mortgage! To re-align with your own happiness preferences, why not write a list of 20 things that make you happy and commit to doing at least one a day? Doesn’t it make perfect sense to do more of these things if you want to live a happy life!
- Do less of what makes you unhappy! If you want more happiness in your life then choose to do less of the things that make you unhappy! Think about the past month, what things do you do regularly that drain your energy or dread having to do? It makes perfect sense that the more of these things you have in your life, the more you are decreasing the hours you have to be happy! Look at your diary this week and cut out at least one thing that you don’t enjoy.
- Realise that it is not your responsibility to make anyone else happy. If you are living your life always striving to make other people happy, you are literally caring more about others happiness than your own. I am not saying it is a bad things to make others happy, just make sure that you are doing it for the right reasons. Many of us turn ourselves inside out as we feel it is our responsibility to make other people happy but this is often at our own expense. Each and every one of us has the ability to make ourselves happy so try tunning in to what feels good to you – rather than what feels good for other people in your life.
- Prioritize your own happiness. Why not write a list of the 5 main things which are really important to you. This could include family, work life balance, exercise or career. Then write another list of how in reality you spend your time. For example, If you are spending 10 hours a day at work but your first priority is family, then it may be time to make a few changes in your life. It makes sense to spend time on the things which are a priority and therefore important to you.
- Choose to Feel good. Happiness is really a choice. You have a choice to get stressed out about being in a traffic jam or a late running appointment or you have a choice to chill out, feel good and relax. You can’t change a traffic jam or a late delivery, but you can change your reaction to it. If you really cared about feeling good and being happy, you would make a decision to not let things get to you so much and let go of the small stuff that you can’t change. Yes, it may be frustrating that you are stuck in a traffic jam, but you can choose to fill yourself with negative emotions or you can choose to fill your body and mind with kind and patient thoughts. It is really up to you!
Lisa Phillips is an award winning Sydney Life Coach with over 18 years experience. Lisa is also the author of The Confidence Coach‘. Lisa works with her Life Coaching clients all over the world with coaching sessions in person, over the phone and via Skype. To find out more about Lisa, please see www.amazingcoaching.com.au