Last year, I made an appearance on ‘The Today Show’ sharing my tips on Boosting Self Esteem. Research was showing that 3 out of 5 people in Australian struggle with Low Self Esteem. In addition, Australian ranked number 11 of nations reporting the lowest self esteem. You can watch the TV appearance on my Media Page.
Finally, 67% of Women in Australian believe the media sets an unrealistic standard of beauty which in turn, impacts their self esteem.
The Statistics Do Not surprise me!
Sadly, this did not surprise me at all. As an award winning Confidence Expert with over 20 years experience, low levels of self esteem can impact every area of our life including career, relationships, friendships or financial situation.
If your self esteem is lacking, then how you ‘show up in the world’, your reactions, your ability to take care of yourself and your overall happiness and wellbeing may be negatively impacted.
Here are a few of my Top Tips to Boost Self Esteem:
1) Every morning, look in the mirror and affirm ‘ I am willing to learn to love myself‘. The more difficult you find this, the more important it is for you to take the time to boost your self esteem.
2) Buy yourself a journal and write down at least 20 achievements you have completed in your life. Remember, these don’t have to be huge things, just things you are proud of yourself for completing! Take a few minutes to read your list every day and add to it every day if possible. Every time you read this, you will boost your self esteem. Make sure you also FEEL the achievements, don’t just rush them in your head.
3) When you are in the shower / bath, spend 1 minute thanking your body for what it does for you. Even if you are not very Body Confident, thank your body for doing what it does. Thank your legs for giving you the ability to walk and thank your eyes for allowing you to see the world.
4) Affirm to yourself every day ‘ My self esteem is growing every day’ Do this while you are waiting for a bus / lift or doing the dishes / washing. Feel how nice it would be to have high self esteem in your body. Every time you can find the feeling in your body, you are re-wiring you head and heart to be a person with great confidence and self esteem.
5) Write a list of 20 things which make you happy. Focus on your own personal happiness preferences. Once your list is complete, make a commitment to do at least one of the things each day. This could be as simple as having coffee with a friend, or a relaxing in a nice hot bath.
Boosting Your Self Esteem is a Journey
The truth is, we were all born with good self esteem. However, it is our old programming thoughts and dominant emotions that can prevent us from experiencing it in every area of our life. Remember, every body deserves to feel good about themselves. Building self esteem is a journey so choose one or two of the above tips in take the time to boost your self esteem.
Sydney Life Coaching
Lisa Phillips is also the current expert Life Coach on The Love Destination TV.